In Jailbreak, the Police is one of the two teams you can select to play as, while a third is achievable by breaking out as a Prisoner.
The main objective of a Police Officer is to keep prisoners within the walls of the Prison, while finding Criminals before they rob or steal from the stores and buildings found throughout jailbreak and put them back into the Cells they escaped from by any means necessary such as the Taser.
Police spawn with three items in their inventory:
and carry two other items that aren't accessible by the officer:
Police also get notifications whenever a robbery or theft occurs with the exception of the Museum (unless the alarm is triggered), someone pickpockets an item from them or if they pick up dropped cash from a prisoner.
Police can arrest prisoners if they:
- Are in prohibited areas
- Have punched the Power Box once
- Being hostile, shooting a cop or punching another player.
- Pickpocketed a police officer.
- Entered a vehicle of any sort.
- Has an item besides the taser or handcuffs.
NOTE: After some time, the guilty prisoner will turn innocent again if they avoid arrest for a period of time.
If the police attempt to shoot or arrest a prisoner who is innocent, they will be notified in the bottom right corner of the screen and lose $25. In addition, they are warned on the top of the screen to stop shooting/arresting innocent prisoners.
If a police officer kills 4 innocent prisoners via weapons (punching them does not count) or they try to arrest innocent prisoners 4 times; they will become a prisoner themselves as a punishment.
Police officers commonly "camp", or "ambush" at these following locations:
Police officers can bait Prisoners into these following prohibited areas:
Police are one of the most important figures of Jailbreak, however they are criticized for many reasons. Primary because most criminals think they are overpowered due to them being able to stun criminals with a taser, an item that criminals can not use. Police are also criticized for camping robbery locations, and snag all the items on the Passenger Train, due to them having no limit to how many items they can rob. In most situations, police have the upper hand in a fight, as they can arrest and stun. However Police are there to add another challenge to the criminals, as well as add realism to the game, as well as balance.
Police are also criticized by not being popular on most Jailbreak servers, due to criminals earning much more than Police as well as criminals being able to rob stores. However with the addition of the Passenger Train and Police having the ability to rob every single item on the Passenger Train, most likely brings some players to the police team however it is still rare to find servers with over 5 police.
- There can only be 10 cops in one server. This was made so that criminals and cops were even. If you attempt to become a cop, it will say "That team is full."
- There is an easter egg referring to the stereotype that police officers "camp". It consists of three Police (NPCs) near Train Tunnel 1, literally camping; with one cop roasting a marshmallow, and another cop scaring the 3rd one. Behind the three of them is a small tent. An alternate version of the Easter Egg could be found in the waterfall next to Gun Shop 1 during the Ready Player One Event mission.
- In the Rocket Fuel Update, police were given a higher Paycheck from $500 ($600 if VIP) to $2000 ($2400 if VIP) and the range of handcuffs was reduced. Though later on in the 1 Year Update, the Paycheck amounts were reduced back to the original ones.
- The Police badge can be found in the catalog here.
- Police officers are faster than criminals.
- The Police badge cannot be taken off, but can be covered by using certain torsos. It is also hard to see, as players should see your nametag faster than your badge,
- A police officer cannot equip BOSS Attire in the Criminal Bases even if they have to BOSS Gamepass, because they are not criminals.